Oil on canvas
British, Third quarter 19th century
The ship identified on the pennant, an American flag flying from her peak,
Dover harbor and dover Castle off the English coast are shown under her
bowsprit. The reverse of the canvas is stenciled “John Reeves Artists
Colorman, 6 Whitehurst Tottenham Ct Road London”.
The Mary Edson was built in 1859 in Medford, Massachusetts, for the firm of
Ryder and Hardy.
*Several items accompany this item, including the bill of sale “Bark Mary
Edson M. Nickerson of chatham Mass to owner of the bark Mary Edson Danial
Howes of chatham $2250 – 1865”; and an 1867 clipper ship sailing card for
the Mary Edson, advertising her uyse for freight, with attractive colors and
a New Zealand scene. Only about 3,000 of these cards documenting multicolor
business advertising in American maritime history exist.
20” X 30” (23 ¼” X 33 ¼” overall)